[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street

Keep us apprised of what is going on in our world.

Moderator: YMix

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm

I took some interesting pictures, I'll upload them when I get the chance

but what I found was

- a majority of people using left-right dichotomy, unintentionally, but it is so ingrained...

- (this was a reaction I wrote in my little pad) "they use ruling class semiotics like psychological "legitimacy" or "statements of demands" which are characteristic elite methods of attack? It makes it appear as an ochlocracy wishing to be the oligarch."

- these people aren't all creepy-crawling Marxists born from the whiskers of the Great Red One. But like most people, they have marxist-ized language.

- a lot of talk of community but a lot of networking as well- I'm not sure how "networking" is communal in any sense. It takes a very individualistic and atomistic sense to "network." Friend is used for Acquaintance and you network with them. But it was very...unerotic....

- a lot of people couldn't tell the difference between wealth and income, have an idea as to how to tax wealth without the wealthy fleeing; and they couldn't give examples as to actual crimes the financial sector committed on a large scale.

- I noticed a lot of baby boomers, and they sort of seemed to be taking charge of things. I don't know how I feel about it, my initial reaction was, "the baby boomers are treating the Gen Yers like children and not allowing them to learn and grow. Very hands on."

- a lot of machine/computer/android/technology talk, which is good for technology but disturbing seeing it attached to morality and defining ethics by it. C.S. Lewis' The Abolition of Man comes to mind. Call me old fashioned but I'm not convinced you can have an ethical system that doesn't account for humans.

These points have been negative, let me get some good ones in there:

- there are some very bright people there who seem to have a good handle of the score. This is of course a bright spot. I guess it's like a lot of groups: the wiser are usually outnumbered by the foolish.

- people do have hope, and though I don't think their self-esteem is all that important, it is good for the society that people feel hopeful during economic downturns. Positivity could be a blessing in disguise.

- they are being productive. People won't forget this for a while, and maybe something can grow from it.

My final thought: I wish they wouldn't try to expand and talk globally. Community is importance. These big behemoths can't maneuver at that level, that's how you get around them.... when you aim globally, that's there turf and they are making their bread-and-butter that way. I thought they wanted to effective but most didn't seem to have a clue or strategy to be and that there will be an absorption into the beasts that they are fighting, one way or another.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:46 am

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

Postby Tinker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:12 am

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Tinker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:19 am

Tinker

Occupy Wall Street endorsed by Earl Pitts, UhMerican

Postby monster_gardener » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:37 am

This could be an important development :wink:

National Redneck spokesman, Earl Pitts, UhMerikun, endorsed Occupy Wall Street earlier this week.

Earl was incensed by Bankers levying so called "convenience fees"

Said he had heard that the OWS protesters were a bunch free sex hippies but that he decided to just take his chances :wink: and join them.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Pitts ... aracter%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the love of G_d, may I consider I may be mistaken
monster_gardener

Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I can never think of anything witty to put into a signature.
Hoosiernorm

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Hoosiernorm

Postby Colonel Sun » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:10 am

Well, if nothing else, this topic and thread has certainly occupied this board . . .
Never criticize anyone until you've walked several kilometres in their shoes.
Because

1. You're now several kilometres away; and

2. You've got their shoes.
Colonel Sun

Postby Ibrahim » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:53 am

Ibrahim

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:40 am

If the banks collapse, I wonder if the government will blame the protesters and have them rounded up to be scapegoats for the crisis? It would sure make it easier on the establishment to have ready made groups of folks to be given show trials and long prison sentences to...
Hoosiernorm

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:02 am

Demon of Undoing

Postby AzariLoveIran » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:34 am

AzariLoveIran

Postby Endovelico » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:34 am

Endovelico

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Hoosiernorm

Postby AzariLoveIran » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:25 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby AzariLoveIran » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:33 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:38 pm

They are protesting being unemployed. They most certainly are not uneducated, and they suffer from too much info to be coherent sometimes. This is ignorant sniping.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Not everyone protesting is unemployed. Tents are not a high value item, you are just not supposed to have them at the park. If they were suddenly allowed you would have 100 donated the next day.
Tinker

Postby Tinker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Tinker

Postby AzariLoveIran » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:49 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby AzariLoveIran » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:22 am

Those bills are probably $ 1,000 bills :lol:

Meet your friends

Well folks

you rally think these guys can withstand Iranians ? ?

AzariLoveIran

Postby Tinker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

In order to make Naomi Wolf disappear when she was arrested, DHS closed down a street.

First they come for the left...
Tinker

Postby Mr. Perfect » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:49 pm

I thought every was very convinced this was not a left-right thing. Apparently not.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events