[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Music: What are you listening to?

Music: What are you listening to?

This is the place to discuss film/painting/literature/perfume/dance/music and any category of sensual construction of a performative nature.

Moderator: YMix

Re: Music: What are you listening to?

Postby Apollonius » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Apollonius

Postby Hans Bulvai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
It's time to set my demons free
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Colonel Sun » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Never criticize anyone until you've walked several kilometres in their shoes.
Because

1. You're now several kilometres away; and

2. You've got their shoes.
Colonel Sun

Postby Hans Bulvai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Man I've always thought Bono just looked (and sounded) strange in that video. Great song nonetheless!

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Apollonius » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Apollonius

Postby Apollonius » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Lucie Spickova, soprano; Joel Frederiksen, bass, archlute; performing in Prague:

Al fonte al prato - Giulio Caccini (c.1545-1618)

For love ev'ry creature is born - Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
Apollonius

Postby Colonel Sun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 pm

[Personal favourite pop. I still recall the first time I heard it in a bar in Baltimore . . . time, time, time]
Because

Colonel Sun

Postby Colonel Sun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Because

Colonel Sun

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Apollonius » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:23 pm

There aren't that many clips of early music performers on YouTube. The overwhelming majority of this music is uploaded from CDs, sans video

You can find some, though (unfortunately, usually not their best work):

Here is Paul O'Dette, one the world's foremost lutenists in an interview on Soundboard, where he demonstrates the instrument a little, and talks with a guitarist about the lute:

The most interesting thing is when he describes how frets on the lute, unlike the guitar, are moveable. To a modern guitarist, this sounds like an invitation to disaster, but remember, early music was written and played before the advent of equal temperment. Equal temperment, as established in particular by J. S. Bach in his Wohltemperierte Klavier, gives us our modern tuning.

When you play the harpsichord, you have to learn to tune it yourself. I tune using thirds and fifths, and to do this, you must always make these chords a little flat, otherwise when you reach the end of the scale, your high note on the octave will be too high.

Before equal temperment, instruments were always tuned *exactly* to the key they were played in, thus avoiding this problem, and producing a pureness of tone which we lost some 300 years ago.
Apollonius

Postby Apollonius » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Apollonius

Postby Apollonius » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Apollonius

Postby Hans Bulvai » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Colonel Sun » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Because

Colonel Sun

Postby Hans Bulvai » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:22 pm

:lol:

I had to look that one up! :lol:
Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Hans Bulvai » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:53 am

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby Apollonius » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Somewhere way back in this thread I posted one version of this. This is my favourite interpretation of this.

The score reads: "Noblement et animé - Gracieusement"

Here's Skip Sempé emphasizing "animé".

La Suzanne - Claude-Bénigne Balbastre (1724-1799) ; performed by Skip Sempé

Listen to this one at night and hear the stars sparkle:

Les Étoiles - Michel Corrette (1707-1795) ; performed by Skip Sempé
Apollonius

Postby Apollonius » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Apollonius

PreviousNext

Return to Art