[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Betcha didn't know this . . .

Betcha didn't know this . . .

This is the place for discussions of the aspects of the subjective life.

Moderator: YMix

Betcha didn't know this . . .

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Marcus

Re: Betcha didn't know this . . .

Postby Rhapsody » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:10 pm

I like the reference to "European countries"... A bit like "those people", "overthere", who walked out on Catholicism. Sort of.
Rhapsody

Postby Colonel Sun » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Reminds me of Osama bin Laden whining about the loss of the Iberian peninsula by the Moors and just as silly.

JITIY is just another fanatic living in a past that is gone, most of which never was, never to return.

When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said,
"Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"

~ Quentin Crisp
Last edited by Colonel Sun on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never criticize anyone until you've walked several kilometres in their shoes.
Because

1. You're now several kilometres away; and

2. You've got their shoes.
Colonel Sun

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Marcus

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:58 pm

What do I do if I agree but don't give a damn ?
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 pm

You have to read Jittys posts on Kantian epistemology. It's internally coherent , and he is right , IMHO. Becoming correct is almost never possible. Becoming less wrong , is. I'd have to reread it myself , and it is total TL;DR territory. I have a poorly executed meal to prepare over here. After that, it's Bass ale all the way down.

TL;DR I need beer. Also , the proof in the pudding does sort of belie the truth arrived at. But not all the way. Truthfully , I'd like to see tilde's take on this , as he both mentioned Thomisim previously and has maybe the best ready grasp on what I think of as formal logic that I've seen of late. Others are probably as good or better , but they are also older and lazier. :lol:
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby cincinnatus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm

It's harmless. I can assure you Marcus, us Catholics aren't going to suit up in chain mail and conquer the world, forcing the spin-offs to bow their heads at the mention of Mary in the Lord's Prayer (I suggested this, but was told to f-ck off by JP II).
cincinnatus

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Marcus

Romans 8:24-25

Postby  ~  » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks guys. I went touring this AM in some heavy old school tele gear and am cooking for 10 people tonight, so you may have to content yourselves with responses from some actual smart people until I can properly hike my leg on both of the major Christian "epistemological" traditions.

JITIY's piece make gobs of sense on some things, but is as batshit as the Augustinians on others.

This is gonna be fun. I'll try not to let you guys down!

:D
 ~ 

Romans 1:22

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 am

Marcus

Postby  ~  » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 am

I guess everything is a matter of authority to an authoritarian eye...

Meanwhile, maybe you could offer some response to JITIY's piece beyond stuttering drooling incomprehension and the mindless outrage of a Paki peasant at a flag burning? Toss out a quotemine or fire off an AK47 or something...Show some ballz.
 ~ 

Re:

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 am

Marcus

Postby Torchwood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Pessimism is the soft option.
Torchwood

Luther & Calvin to the rescue . . .

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Marcus

Postby Colonel Sun » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Because

Colonel Sun

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Marcus

Postby I am ST » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:26 pm

I completely agree. Obviously, JITTY is irrationally adhering to the wrong kind of superstition.
I am ST

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Marcus

Postby Colonel Sun » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Because

Colonel Sun

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 pm

C'mon, guys, give Jitiy a break. Jitiy's error isn't that he believes something weird in my or your eyes. Heck, what we believe likely seems weird to him. We all have our presuppositions, and our presuppositions define our facts. Materialist/Atheist presuppositions define the facts for the Materialist/Atheist. My Reformed Christian presuppositions define my facts. Jitiy's presuppositions define his facts. We've covered this ground too many times already.

No, Jitiy's error is that he's trying to baptize his facts with Christianity in general and with Roman Catholicism in particular, when no credible scholar, historian, or theologian by either definition would have the foggiest notion what he's talking about.

A bridge too far, that's all . .
Marcus

Postby Tinker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Marcus

Postby  ~  » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 am

~ 

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 am

Marcus

Next

Return to Philosophy