[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street

Keep us apprised of what is going on in our world.

Moderator: YMix

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Postby Tinker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Tinker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Mr. Perfect » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 pm

No you fall for token gestures as the people you think you are fighting are taking sustenance from your every action. :P
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

Postby Ammianus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Ammianus

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 am

I wasn't on the ground today or yesterday. I just don't buy the Post's version. It's owned by Rupert Murdoch, no doubt there was some frustration expressed by the food staff, but I bet the Post completely twisted it. I seriously doubt anyone is pulling at 18 hour shift at the Food area, and if they are, that's their own egomaniacal belief that no one will step up if they step down.
Tinker

Postby AzariLoveIran » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:03 am

AzariLoveIran

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:39 pm

So, because the politicians are afraid of ( legally carried) guns, the people can't be trusted enough to be heard.

Do you see what I ( and millions of other gun nuts) mean?
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Tinker

Postby AzariLoveIran » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Above and beyond the individual instances and circumstances, it should be plainly obvious that just about anybody can precipitate serious violence. It is fertile ground for a false flag. Incitement, while not necessarily logical or productive, is readily available.

It has been my contention all along that the human element will turn a comparatively straightforward set of issues into a massive conflagration. The weakest link is the emotions and personalities of the American people, which I believe to be so invested in the collective pathos that even seeing solution is impossible.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Tinker

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Tinker

Postby AzariLoveIran » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Here's the problem in Oakland .

Demon of Undoing

Postby Alph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:05 pm

You heard it here first. Nonlethal crowd control techniques are an excessive reaction from police officers having rocks thrown at them.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I started throwing rocks at a group of police officers I would expect to be tackled, handcuffed, and imprisoned for several years for the assault. If someone was throwing rocks at a group I was in and a police officer saw it I would expect the rock thrower to be tackled, handcuffed, and imprisoned for several years for the assault. That is considerably more violent than tear gas and flash-bang grenades. Do you think that the woman in the above news clip would expect anything less if someone starting throwing rocks at her? Or would she find that 'unjustified?' I imagine that she would find tear gas and grenades that make loud noises to be perfectly justified, even restrained, in that situation.

But maybe I'm wrong. I propose that to find out what the protestors' true beliefs on the subject are, we should prevent the police from employing tear gas against the OWS and, instead, just make them throw rocks in response to rock throwing. Surely that can't be an excessive response, since throwing rocks is apparently a valid response to... err... the local law authority telling the protestors to obey the law and disperse until the next morning instead of camping illegally overnight?
Last edited by Alph on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trends that can't continue, won't. But until then, they will.
Alph

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Tinker

Postby Alph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Alph

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Tinker

Postby Alph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Last edited by Alph on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alph

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Tinker

Postby Alph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Last edited by Alph on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alph

Postby Tinker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Tinker

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:09 pm

One of the main points of this protest and all associated is that the powers that be right now are tainted at best, unjust at worst. This is the " inherent antisocial" aspect I was talking about and that was dismissed. It simply follows from the base arguments made that somewhere, someone has not just a right but a responsibility to act out in what has to be an illegal faction. It's baked in, in my opinion, and to the extent that the protestors follow the rules, they will be marginalized and dismissed.

I am afraid America, when it comes to making radical change, is going to be an " all or nothing" affair. You can't protest Nazis. You fight them. And if the opposition is Nazi as a matter of opinion, then the lights are going out for somebody. I don't see a nice way to do this.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Alph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Alph

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events