[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street

Keep us apprised of what is going on in our world.

Moderator: YMix

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 am

I can never think of anything witty to put into a signature.
Hoosiernorm

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:31 am

So I guess these are the real teabaggers.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:07 am

Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 am

No offense personally intended to any party present. It's addressed to the royal " you".
Demon of Undoing

Postby Ammianus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:04 am

Tinker,

I do not wish to intrude or shatter any rosy nostrums, but two issues must be addressed:

1. Even a cursory looks at the plaza where they've encamped shows it cannot contain more than 2-3000 at most, let alone hundreds of thousands that Tahrir Square had. Despite their fierce desire to set up shop there, if they don't have the simple raw manpower needed to make waves, no one, not the ordinary New Yorkers, nor the feckless cops, not the most ensconced plutocrat, will care. They'll be no different from the standard homeless vagrants loitering on college campuses, except on a bit more festive and cleaner level. The physical spatial limitations of their geography almost condemns them to be a boutique curiosity if they don't get rowdy soon. Or receive a rude but total eviction.

2. Perhaps most importantly, where is the message? Very well, they've bared their wrath against Wall Street and Corporate America (two actually fairly separate in many ways, but alas a different story). They've show the thirst for popular representation, the passion to cry out No Mas, the voice to say they're there and hell no they won't go. Beyond that, what are the actual words, sentences they wish to say? What do they REALLY want? Anti debit fee increases? Prosecution of the Banksters? Anti- Bush tax cuts? Opposition to deficit reduction based social policy? Cuts to SS and Medicare? More and better unemployment benefits? Pullout of Iraq, AfPak, Yemen? I'm sorry, but simply saying your against the oligarchs is excellent sentiment but poor to none existent substance. Last I checked to take action against the oligarchs one can't simply pass a literal anti-oligarch law filled with such emotional verbosity but no policy prescriptions whatsoever.
Ammianus

Postby AzariLoveIran » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 am

Last edited by AzariLoveIran on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzariLoveIran

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 am

Az, Joe not receiving benefits, (never has, never will), does not know where to go to apply.

Who does receive benefits? Sally Soccermom, Sal the Senior. They know how to apply for benefits. Believe me.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

Mr. Perfect

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:39 am

Damn I hate it when you are right Demon
Hoosiernorm

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:06 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Tinker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Demon, I wish you were at Tea Party rallies saying this on the mic. I would love to hook up with the Tea Party.

Ammianus, The low capacity of the park is a strength. I have been down there I am far more aware of tye limitations because I am hanging with these people. And yes there are alot of dready simpletons. But when 20,000 people show up, it spills into the streets and stops traffic. It hasn't peaked yet, marches in 70 cities today. Biggest march yet in NYC. Yesterday was the first weekday to be as packed as a weekend. There were thousands of people there. I am pretty good at eyeballing crowd numbers after seeing what 300 people packed into a warehouse looks like for years.

At the same time, I watch the Freedom Tower go up a few blocks away and know tye scales of organization are not comparable. But I personally have contacts in state and international policy circles. So I am there to network. I need to be able to mobilize a street operation during primary season. That is my goal.
The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 pm

I'd like to be at a TP rally saying this. But I am telling you from experience that there is not enough questioning of fundamentals and introspection to allow it. To question is to be defrauded at best and a wolf in sheep's clothing at worst. They would immediately rate the idea of being in the same boat and of the same interests as Anonymous to be an attack. There is a generational loyalty aspect to identity that is still too strong.

They will see the handoff, they will live through their own supercession. Then we will see who has the courage of their convictions.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Mr. Perfect

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Mr. Perfect

Postby Ammianus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Ammianus

Postby Ammianus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Just heard plans for Occupy DC, Occupy Chicago, Occupy Minneapolis, Occupy SF, etc.:

http://occupydc.org

http://occupychi.org/

http://occupysf.com

http://www.occupymn.org/

Congratulations, it appears they've learned the lesson and have started to undergo metastasis. With luck one doesn't need the size of Tahrir Square at all if 1000 of them at 1/5th size would do.
Last edited by Ammianus on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ammianus

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 pm

These people seem to really have an issue with Democrat controlled cities. Maybe I'm misreading this.

Mr. Perfect

Postby Ammianus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 am

Ammianus

Postby amos » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:09 am

the "liberal" media at work....changing it's story in no time flat (mind you, a story it ignored until a nyt reporter was arrested):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 1984140714

the earlier version is accurate......i'm glad it is going this way and would like to personally thank mayor bloomberg and the nypd administration for assuring that the movement prospers.....carry on
"Once: enough."
amos

Postby Hoosiernorm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:43 am

Memory hole FAIL
Hoosiernorm

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:17 am

Demon of Undoing

Postby amos » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 am

"Once: enough."
amos

Postby Demon of Undoing » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:58 am