[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - RIP Christopher Hitchens

RIP Christopher Hitchens

Keep us apprised of what is going on in our world.

Moderator: YMix

RIP Christopher Hitchens

Postby Ammianus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:59 am

Ammianus

Re: RIP Christopher Hitchens

Postby Azrael » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:03 am

RIP.

I bet a lot of people that he no longer respected will show up and pretend that they miss the guy, when while he was living they we're waiting for him to drop.
Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Azrael

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:26 am

A great loss to the world of the written word.

The next drink I have will be in his honor.
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Colonel Sun » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:10 am

Condolences.

Reading his obituary, the [attributed] words of Jack London came to mind;

"I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them,

I shall use my time."
Never criticize anyone until you've walked several kilometres in their shoes.
Because

1. You're now several kilometres away; and

2. You've got their shoes.
Colonel Sun

Postby crashtech » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I'll miss his inimitable style. I really though he was gonna beat the big C.
crashtech

Postby Hoosiernorm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Wonder how long it will now take for his notes to be released, usually they are held for a period of time until they have been reviewed by a trusted peer. I wonder yet what is left unsaid by Chris, I don't think that we are done hearing from Mr. Hitchens just yet.
I can never think of anything witty to put into a signature.
Hoosiernorm

Postby Tinker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 pm

RIP Christopher Hitchens, you were talented with words, and you used those words to do some horrible things, your words became the justification for the slaughters of many thousands of people the world over. But you made your points well, and were not without insight.
The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Sparky » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:12 pm

- a journalist on the Daily Mail.
RIP indeed. It was a pleasure listening to him speak.
Sparky

Postby Azrael » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Azrael

Postby Sparky » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Perhaps - though self-deprecation is a very British quality.
Sparky

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm

No offense, I never found him interesting.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 pm

He was a fine champion of personal freedoms, as good as this perod has ( had). Worth listening.
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby amos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:41 am

i joined him and a few others for a cocktail once after he appeared at the boston public library to make his case that kissinger is a war criminal.....he proved that lushes have the sharpest wits....and we made a pair of lushes with our whiskeys.....now go nourish the worms.....you sir finally convinced me that that's all there is

(too me, his ouvre recalled orwell's "homage to catalonia")
"Once: enough."
amos

Postby Ibrahim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Most apt thing I saw written about his death was on Twitter, of all places:

"You can't win. Hitchens had integrity, wit, loved Orwell, and still flunked the moral test of his generation and died a drunken jingoist."
Ibrahim

Postby the glowing carp » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:18 am

A untimely losss of a great voice.
better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
the glowing carp

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:44 pm

Azrael

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Azrael

Return to Current Events