[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Robots are actually for the rich

Robots are actually for the rich

Keep us apprised of what is going on in our world.

Moderator: YMix

Robots are actually for the rich

Postby rednblacklumberjack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Interesting to reconsider robots as tools of class struggle, to put it one - highly controversial - way.

Disclaimer: Generally like robotics. However, I do not own a robot, unless my coffeemaker meets that definition...
with a hat to match
rednblacklumberjack

Re: Robots are actually for the rich

Postby Tinker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:48 pm

The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Demon of Undoing » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:57 pm

That's hilarious. I just got rid of my dead coffeemaker in favor of a stainless percolator designed to be run on the stovetop or even a fire. I'm stepping back where possible, and my coffee has never tasted better. It's amazing what it tastes like when the water has never been heated and put through platic bits.

On the other hand, I'll be starting Arduino work after Christmas. Going to make a home security system that would give the shareholders of ADT an aneurysm.
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Ibrahim » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:59 pm

In a "class war" context robots screw over the proletariat by replacing huge numbers of them in various service and, most crucially, manufacturing positions. Anything a robot does a person is not doing, and that person is out of a job.
Ibrahim

Postby Sparky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Sparky

Postby Tinker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 pm

My wife uses a French Press as well.
The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby rednblacklumberjack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 pm

with a hat to match
rednblacklumberjack

Postby Demon of Undoing » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Well, put it this way. Every little naughty project I've thought up so far has already got web pages put to it.

Demon of Undoing

Postby Azrael » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:17 am

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Azrael

Postby Demon of Undoing » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 am

Thanks, but let's not count any chickens just yet. I have to ask a lot of questions and there is a lot of learning ahead. I'm keeping it as close to the vest as possible, but there are probably going to be some moments where I have to trust someone not to tweak when I ask about sensitive items. The security environment right now can make even misapprehensions dangerous.
Demon of Undoing

Postby noddy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 am

got me curious about whats out there, found http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects
and its got a skeleton project for starting such things from http://www.practicalarduino.com/project ... ty-sensors

no end of support for sensors and whatnot http://www.freeduino.org/

personally, i just a contract which requires me to create a distributed backend for this kind of work and also custom hardware based on a mix of aduino embedded and arm consoles so ill hopefully get quite good at it over the next 6 months... my dream trained army of monkeys with molotovs might get upraded to titanium spiders with flamethrowers.
noddy

Postby Azrael » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Noddy, the page you linked has a security project that may be helpful for DoU.

Edit: oh, you already knew that . . . :oops:
Azrael

Postby Tinker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:03 pm

What pre-req skills would I need to do an Arduino project?
Tinker

Postby Azrael » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:02 am

I don't think it's anything you can't handle. What are you thinking of doing? [PM me if it's to hot for an open forum.]
Azrael

Postby noddy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:27 am

noddy

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 am

I'm doing it specifically to learn from the ground up, as a means to an end. I've had family that was real big into electronics so some of the stuff is very familiar, but man is there lots to learn.
Demon of Undoing

Postby noddy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:15 am

yeh doing some basic programming tutorials and getting the hang of the principles and patterns would be the correct starting point i think.

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

the neat bit about python is that it was the first of the scripting languages (now their is also ruby) that had the full support for all the structures/operators found in "proper" languages (c family) but without the complex syntax required for doing memory handling, it automates all that bit for you.

python is 100-1000 times slower than the low level ones but in many (most?) cases the real world difference between .01 and .001 of a second is somewhat moot and in alot of pro environments they still use things like python and only bother doing it in a low level language for specific tasks that do need to happen as fast as possible.

one of the things in programming is that a good pattern in a slow language will be faster in the real world than a shit pattern in a fast language - design and understanding of the problem are every bit as important as raw speed.

i get away with not having much electronics background because i have alot of programming background, i havent found much that confused me for too long and quite often someone has already done the more tedious work of wrapping all the binary protocols in higher level interfaces anyway.. yay for the internet ;)
noddy

Postby noddy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 am

http://www.pygame.org/docs/

this is a fun little library that gives python hooks to the graphics card,mouse,keyboard and joystick - allowing people to learn programming doing arcade games.

a more fun way to learn to program than doing accounting and more importantly it is event based programming which is the type of progamming required for doing arduino projects.... a main loop which waits on events happening (in this case kb/mouse) and then fires off logic routines and output routines in reaction to those events.
noddy

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:33 am

This is very helpful. I may ask questions. Until after the new year, it's just going to be study.
Demon of Undoing

Postby noddy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:06 am

no dramas - my web forum time is going to be quite on and off for the next few months, my workload and my private hobbies are both at maximum saturation and it will be increasingly unlikely i wish to use a computer once ive spent most of the day bashing my head against it for money.

when i do check in ill be more than happy to offer any tips or whatnot.
noddy

Postby Demon of Undoing » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Demon of Undoing

Postby Tinker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:28 pm

I had a free ride to engineering school when I was 18. You guys are making me sort of regret not taking it. ;)
Tinker

Return to Current Events