[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - " Islam-lite " dilusion

" Islam-lite " dilusion

Moderator: YMix

" Islam-lite " dilusion

Postby AzariLoveIran » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 pm

AzariLoveIran

Re: " Islam-lite " dilusion

Postby Hans Bulvai » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
It's time to set my demons free
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby AzariLoveIran » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Ibrahim » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 am

In reality the Arab Spring is more about direct democracy than "Islamism," though naturally Islamists will vote according to their views when able. The solution for people who dislike Muslims/Arabs: call them all "terrorists" and never let them vote.

But what is significant for Iran is that it is being demonstrated that tyrants can be deposed in short order, and the Beards running Iran could easily be next on the list. Opposition to the Iranian regime shares many views with the Arab revolutions across the region: respect for individual rights, legitimate political representation, and opposition to state-run thuggery and torture.
Ibrahim

Postby AzariLoveIran » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 am

AzariLoveIran

Postby Mr. Perfect » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:52 am

These Arab countries appear to be running into the democracy paradox, ie what do you call it when you use democracy to vote out democracy.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

Postby Tertulian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Azari,

I do not wish to quibble but my part of Africa - South Nigeria, specifically, the Igbos, have always had democratic values at least since the 10th century. When the British first came into contact with us they were confused with the fact that the chiefs they meet did not think that they had the authority to make decisions on behalf of the people but that each family, actully head of households had to be consulted. It is a messy process and often takes time before collective decisions are taken but gives everyone a stake in the system. In Western and Northern Nigeria the process of representation was a bit different. They had kings who had authority to speak for and make decisions for the people.

Tribal societies are not necessarily anathema to democracy because their system of communalism offers a solid foundation upon which democracies can be built. I agree that it is or at least has been difficult to establish democracies in Arab countries and also in large part of African countries. The same thing holds in Asia. I don't know what accounts for this in most of these countries but can attest that it is very difficult to have democratic societies in Muslim countries. Turkey is an exception but even it practices a sort of constrained democracy. It also had the advantage of suffering a significant defeat in WWI. It is easier to change a society or a country after it has experienced a catastrophic and long defeat.
Tertulian

Postby AzariLoveIran » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:20 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Tertulian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Azari,

You make a good point. Would you consider China, India and probably Japan to be tribal societies? Although, I confess that I prefer a different term to "Tribal society". Maybe civilized or communal societies will do. But I do quibble.

Your description of Saudi Arabia seems correct to me and it will please me to end to see what the House of Saud built tumble. I see them as them sponsors and originators of religious intolerance in the world. That said, how would you characterize Iran as a society and would you call it's process of governance a theocratic democracy?
Tertulian

Postby AzariLoveIran » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Attachments
Tribes of Arabia.png
Tribes of Arabia.png (70.92 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
AzariLoveIran

Postby Tertulian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Azari,

I think I understand now what you mean by tribe and also how you use it. By your definition above, the Igbos of Nigeria are not a tribe but a nation. We do not see ourselves as belonging to or having the same blood lineage. There are millions amongst us whose ancestors migrated into the igbo nation from faraway lands like Egypt, what is today called Israel, from Morocco and also from neighboring tribes and some from the Northern part of Nigeria. They all came and converged because the core philosophy of governance and democratic impulse and commerce suited their outlook. That was the primary motivation for our native democracy - just too many people with divergent backgrounds to be ruled by the iron fist of an autocratic king or chief.

It may also interest you to know that the land in the United States where the Igbos had the greatest impact from the beginning of the 17th century is Virginia where the Igbo captives were taken to as slaves. It is therefore not surprising that that land became a bellweather for democracy in the United States. This is not to diffuse the contributions of others to the American project. But I do digress.

Thanks again for your response.
Tertulian

Postby AzariLoveIran » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 am

AzariLoveIran

Postby Ibrahim » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Ibrahim

Postby Sparky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Yeah. I mean, no tribes amongst Muslims (or Arabs), right? TBH, it was probably something of a blessing for Turkey to be shot of it's empire at the end of WWI. That shit became expensive as time went on in the C20.

As to the Islam night-terrors, Turkey has a fine example of what one sees in Europe with centre right, Christian Democrat parties in the AK. The average AK voter is no more likely to jabber at you and stuff a Koran down your craw that a CD voter in Germany is likely to harangue you in the street and slap you about the face with a fistful of Chick tracts.

Tunisia seems to be panning out to the same way.
Sparky

Postby Ibrahim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:49 am

Ibrahim

Postby AzariLoveIran » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:08 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm

I don't like the term "Islam-lite". It implies that if someone is a "real Muslim", they are misogynist, pro-terrorist, etc.
Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Azrael

Postby Ibrahim » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 am

Ibrahim

Postby AzariLoveIran » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 am

AzariLoveIran

Postby Hans Bulvai » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby AzariLoveIran » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:05 pm

AzariLoveIran

Postby Sparky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Your binary reduction of Islam is total and utter bollocks. There are as many flavours and intensities of Islamic adherence as there are species of fish in the sea.
Sparky

Postby Hans Bulvai » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 am

Now I'm far from home
Spending time alone
Been put to the test
My mind laid to rest
I'm on a psycho holiday
Hans Bulvai

Postby noddy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 am