[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Diegetics • View topic - Yes, Spengler, there's a Sanity Clause

Yes, Spengler, there's a Sanity Clause

This is a temporary forum for the upcoming US election

Moderator: YMix

Re: Yes, Spengler, there's a Sanity Clause

Postby Tinker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I doubt Mitt would put people like Alito in. People like Roberts perhaps.
The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:04 am

Isn't Roberts just Alito with better manners?
Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Azrael

Postby Colonel Sun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Never criticize anyone until you've walked several kilometres in their shoes.
Because

1. You're now several kilometres away; and

2. You've got their shoes.
Colonel Sun

Postby Tinker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Heh, perhaps so.
The canary didn't die because this mine is dangerous, it died because it's lazy and wasn't raised with a proper work ethic.
Tinker

Postby Demon of Undoing » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Has little to do with sanity, at least as regards the Ohio turn. Has everything to do with wanting their free beer. Most " retreats toward the center" will in fact be the milquetoast ideological wanderings of the critical " middle", who tend to lack the courage of their convictions. It's those sorts of " moderates", who can not be bothered to make real change nor consistently stand on principle, who do vote their wallet and not their conscience, that have us where we are. Barring good leadership or some serious self examination, this " hooray for me, fuck you" vibe will eat our lunch.

It is too- generous pay and benefit ( specifically pensions) that have the states so boned. If somebody is unwilling to make drastic action there, then they are part of the problem.
Don't know what it is, but I'm agin'it.
Demon of Undoing

Postby Mr. Perfect » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:44 pm

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

John Boner has brought change to America
Mr. Perfect

Postby Tinker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I see status quo in the House and status quo in the Senate with regards to the parties. A lot of incumbents will probably get the ax, but that will be Democrats being replaced with Democrats and Republicans replaced with Republicans. The GOP will probably lose some seats in the house but maintain a majority, and I know they will lose one seat in the Senate in Massachussetts, not sure about other races.

I am interested in Martin Heinrich vs Heather Wilson fighting for Jeff Bingaman's seat in New Mexico. That might be one place where the GOP sees a gain.
Tinker

Postby Azrael » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:36 pm

I more-or-less agree about status quo.

I think that the Republicans might pick up a couple of seats in the House due to redistricting, but not that many, since the district maps were already very favorable to Republicans. Then again, they might not, because there is higher turnout in Presidential election years, which tends to be good for Democrats. In the Senate, the Democrats will probably lose two or three and pick up at least one (in Massachusetts), keeping their majority. Obama will get reelected.
Azrael

Postby Mr. Perfect » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Azrael predicted the Dems keeping the House in the other forum last election. Bloodied but victorious I believe were the words. I keep track of these things.

Most analysts give us the Senate this election, and up to 56+ seats by 2014. I put Obama's re-election at 40%. He has ticked up a couple of points due to the current contention in the primary, perfectly normal. Once we settle on a nominee that nominee will get the normal 5% boost and have a fairly easy path to victory. Obama's topline number is the best thing going for him as weak as it is, his internals and electoral college numbers are worse. Gravity breaks to your internals, not your topline.

Which is amazing, after the coronation of the greatest man of all time, Barack Obama and the ushering in of the 40 year liberal progressive epoch, just a few years later we have one Republican Nation Under God. :P

I wonder what happened. :P
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests Patrick Henry

Mr. Perfect

Postby Azrael » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Last edited by Azrael on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 am

Mr. Perfect

Postby Azrael » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:13 am

That was in April, more than six months before the election. , I was predicting a Republican majority in the House.

Edit: and you neglected to mention that, in the post that you quote, I actually expected the Republicans to pick up seven seats in the Senate, when they ended up only picking up six, so you shouldn't accuse me of systematically underestimating the Republicans.
Azrael

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:28 am

Well now we're a year from the election, so your predictions should be even worse. :P

Senate Seats are dramatically easier to predict. But fair is fair, you were pretty close.

Mr. Perfect

Postby Azrael » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:40 am

Azrael

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:24 am

House loses 5-8 seats, GOP side.

51 GOP Senators.

Obama has a 40% re-election chance. Nate Silver recently gave Obama 50-50, and he has ended up being Democrat leaning, so I think my number is very good.

I do not yet predict the GOP nominee. The more unpredictable that race the better. :P

Edit, generally my predictions are fairly cautious. The upside in this scenario is if the GOP candidate ends up with coattails. Obama in all these midterms and off elections has had negative coattails. So picking up the Senate with Obama winning is a perfectly viable scenario.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Perfect

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:36 am

I will say this, Obama only has two things going for him on his own merits, the MSM and incumbency. That is really thin. The GOP has beat both of those before, we can do it again.

I think even though the charges against Cain are pretty thin, I give him a C plus in handling it. I like a Republican who will kick reporters in the teeth as well as the next guy, but you have to remember you always have multiple audiences in political theater. Cain can do bellicose, that we know, the question is can he articulate. This was a chance for him to do that and he didn't. So down, but not out.

Ron Paul is an easy winner against Obama, so is Mitt Romney as is. There is not likely to be much economic recovery by election day, and Obama has shown that he basically doesn't have anything to offer the American people. Even though Iraq had improved by the end of the Bush term, it was too little too late. Obama faces that now.

Mr. Perfect

Postby Tinker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:39 pm

I will take seriously predictions for the Senate when people start talking about which seats they think will change hands.
Tinker

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Then you'll miss the whole thing. :P

Mr. Perfect

Postby Tinker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Tinker

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 pm

The less my opposition studies the playing field the more likely my predictions will come true. :P

Mr. Perfect

Postby Tinker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Tinker

Postby Mr. Perfect » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Sounds very good to me. :P

Mr. Perfect

Postby Tinker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:15 am

Tinker

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Azrael

Postby Ibrahim » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 am

Solid PM. Except the banhammer.

I think Spengler has proven once again that he has no real convictions of any kind beyond down with hippes/Muslims. Reversing himself on Romney falls into the former camp, obviously.
Ibrahim

Previous

Return to American Electoral Politics